A Letter To My Daughter: Share Your Light


My sweet girl,

Two weeks ago you started kindergarten.  Somehow, in those two weeks, you've gotten bigger and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I'm torn between being excited for and proud of you as you grow and learn and experience new things, and wanting to turn back time to the days when you still needed my help to pull your shirt over your head or do the zipper on your jacket. 

I knew this day was coming.  The day when you would be gone every morning for three hours, in the care of your kindergarten teacher, making new friends and learning new skills.  But it came so fast.  Much faster than I ever anticipated.  I know it won't make sense to you now, like it didn't for me when I was your age, but time goes so fast and it's not just some cliche parents say as their kids grow up.  It really does seem like yesterday when you were born and we were bringing you home from the hospital, and then you were walking and talking and feeding yourself, putting on your own shoes and exploring the playground without my help.

At the same time, you were so ready for this next step.  To branch out.  To share your light with others.  Ever since you were small, anyone who was around you couldn't help but smile and comment on what a sweet, happy girl you were.  No one can stay sad for long when you are in the room.  You reach out to those who stand off to the side and bring them in.  Everyone you meet becomes your friend.  You were born with this talent and I hope you never forget that.  When we went in to meet your teacher for an evaluation, she came up to me afterwards and told me she knew you were special.  That you were a leader and a force for good.  I cried, because I was so happy that she could see the same things in you that I could.

Not only are you a light, but your desire to learn warms my heart as well.  The way you devour information and ask questions will only serve you as you face challenges.  I know you tend to be hard on yourself and want to get things right the first time, but be patient and it will come.  You can be stubborn and persistent and while those traits tend to drive me crazy at times, I know they will help you grow and succeed in life

With as much light as you have, there will be people who will want to dim your light so that they can shine brighter.  Do not listen to them.  You are strong.  You are brave.  You are the daughter of parents who love you more than life itself, a big sister that your brother looks up to and a child of God.  Please remember that in helping others to shine their light, that it does not diminish yours.  Remember the power of kindness and that with that power you can change someone's day.

Sweet.  Smart.  Strong.  Brave.  Leader.  Positive.  Loving.  Kind.  Light.  You are all of these things and so much more.  I can't wait to help you develop these talents and discover others in this walk through life and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Thank you for being my baby girl. 

I love you Forever and Always,

Mommy

11 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful letter! I hope you keep this forever and one day let her read it! I do not have children but can only imagine the feeling you are going through! It would definitely be bitter sweet at moments! Thanks for sharing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was done reading through my 5 when I saw your post (below mine) and had to take a peek. :) I write letters like this to my daughter too, especially on her birthday. So so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LEADER. That's my goal for my daughter. NEVER be a follower. Thanks for sharing the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful letter! I have so many of these for my sons. I opened email accounts for them and I email them all the time. Once they're older they'll have some reading to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful letter! I hope you give this to her to read one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet and touching! One day I'm sure your daughter will love to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a sweet letter!! I hope one day you let her read this when she's grown. :))

    x Kate
    www.thegoldsister.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely letter! My daughter will go to Kinder next year and I'll have to write her one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet letter! I love the sentiments saved for her to remember and look back on. Such a perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute! Such a great idea to start!

    ReplyDelete