Hello Dollies (7 Layer Bars)

Growing up, we almost always had some kind of homemade treat on the counter in our kitchen.  My mom has a sweet tooth and loves to make desserts.  One she made regularly was called Hello Dollies, which I found out later are also called 7 Layer Bars.  I still have no idea why they are called Hello Dollies, but hearing the name always reminds me of one of my favorite musicals: Hello, Dolly.

With layers of graham cracker, coconut, chocolate chips and butterscotch, these bars are perfect if you have sweet tooth.  They are easy to make and because they are layered right in the pan, you don't have to dirty a bowl to mix them in.

Here's what you'll need to make them:


First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a 9x13 pan with tin foil and spray with non stick spray.

Melt the butter in the microwave and then pour it into the bottom of the pan, making sure everything is covered.  Crush up the graham crackers into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the melted butter.  Grab your coconut and sprinkle it next, as evenly as possible.  Next, sprinkle the chocolate chips and the butterscotch chips over the top.  Lastly, open your can of sweetened condensed milk and drizzle over the top of everything.


Put it in the oven for 18-20 minutes, remove and let cool before cutting into bars.  You could also put it in the fridge to cool down and firm up a bit.  (I recommend smaller pieces, as this is a very sweet dessert.)


Hello Dollies (7 Layer Bars)
makes 24 bars

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 3/4 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 1 c. graham crackers, crushed
  • 1 c. shredded coconut
  • 1 12-oz pkg chocolate chips
  • 1 12-oz pkg butterscotch chips
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line 9x13 pan with tin foil and spray with non stick spray.
  2. Melt the butter in the microwave and then pour it into the bottom of the pan, making sure everything is covered.  
  3. Crush up the graham crackers into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the melted butter.  
  4. Grab your coconut and sprinkle it next, as evenly as possible.  
  5. Next, sprinkle the chocolate chips and the butterscotch chips over the top.  
  6. Lastly, open your can of sweetened condensed milk and drizzle over the top of everything.
  7. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, remove and let cool before cutting into bars.  You could also put it in the fridge to cool down and firm up a bit.  (I recommend smaller pieces, as this is a very sweet dessert.)
This post is part of the Movie Club Monday link party that I co-host every fourth Monday of the month.  This month's theme is MUSICALS and I'd love for you to check out what the other co-hosts are sharing!  (Also feel free to link up if you have a musical related post.)



Next month our theme is FAMILY FRIENDLY.


Do you like musicals?  What is your favorite?

10 comments

  1. They look delicious! Such a yummy treat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun idea for a Movie night, it looks so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not had these for years, but I love this recipe!!! They are addictive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, this sounds great! How could I not be drawn to something this easy and delicious?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so yummy, will save the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!!!! These are similar to I think they are called magic bar's but with a twist <3

    Recent Post: Afternoon Tea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, these look amazing!!!! I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look absolutely delicious! I need to make them for our next party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the movie Hello, Dolly! I was in a stage production of that musical once, it's so fun! These bars look amazing, I think I've had them before but it's been a looonnnnng time, I'll have to make some!

    ReplyDelete