14 Meaningful Gifts for Mother's Day

Let's face it: Mother's Day gifts can be so hard to come up with!  You want to give something meaningful.  You want to be thoughtful.  You want them to like it.  (And not just because it's from you, but because you want them to really like what you give them.)  I feel like some years, the right gift is obvious.  You see it, or you think of it and it's a no-brainer.  But most years, at least for me, it isn't like that.  Heck, I can't even tell my husband what I want for Christmas or my birthday most of the time!  So I've taken some time to think about some Mother's Day gift ideas that your mom (or maybe you) would like to receive.  Or possibly one of the items you see will help you think of something else that she'd like.

Scrapbook (Traditional or Digital):  Making a scrapbook today is so much easier and faster than it used to be.  With websites and apps, like Chatbook or Shutterfly, all you really need to do is upload your photos, drop them into a template (or design it from scratch) and send it in to be published.  And if you decide to go the traditional route using printed pictures, there are pre-made scrapbooks that you can buy if making one from scratch seems daunting or too time consuming.  (I've seen them at JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby.)

Personalized Mug/Clothing/Kitchen Towel:  Going along with the personalization theme, you can also purchase almost anything with kids and/or grandkids names or images on them.  I've seen mugs, shirts, kitchen towels, keychains and various other items.  If you have a certain item you want personalized, check out Etsy and see what is available.  I'd be surprised if you didn't find something.

Gift Certificate for Massage or Mani/Pedi:  If your mom is the kind that likes massages, manicures and/or pedicures, why not look into purchasing a gift certificate for her at her favorite spa?  There are always good deals on Groupon, Living Social and Amazon Local for any of these items.  The gift of a relaxing day (or at least a few hours) is something I think most women will appreciate.

Image from O Jolie Designs
Personalized/Custom Jewelry:  One year, my sister, step-sister and I pitched in and got my step-mom a necklace with all of the grandkids' names and birthstone on it.  It was a personal gift and a beautiful way for her to keep her grandkids close.  Plus, we can always add to it as more kids come along.  We purchased ours from one of my favorite Etsy shops for hand stamped jewelry and keepsakes called O Jolie Designs.

Service: Perform an act of service, such as weeding the garden or cleaning out the garage.  You could do it as a surprise or together and use it as an opportunity to talk and bond.

Plan an Activity and Create a Memory:  Last year for Mother's Day, we took my mom out to the aquarium and spent a few hours with her.  It was special because we were able to create a memory from it and take pictures to remember it.  Maybe your mom likes going on hikes or to the ballet.  Think of an activity you could do together, whether it's just the two of you, all the siblings, just girls or extended family, and go make some memories.

Accessories for Hobby:  If your mom has a hobby, there is probably something you could buy to go along with it.  Golfing?  New gloves or clubs.  Biking?  A comfy seat or biking shoes.  Cooking?  That new pan or gadget she's been looking at.  There are so many options that there's no way I could even begin to list them all, but if your mom has a hobby, there's probably something she could use to supplement it.

Flowers/Potted Plant:  I know many ladies who like to receive flowers or potted plants as gifts.  You could include a bouquet of her favorite flowers with another gift or have some flowers or a potted plant as the gift itself.

Chocolates or a Favorite Treat:  I know it's cliche, but there's a reason it is: lots of women like chocolate.  And I'm not talking a Hershey's bar.  I'm talking about the really good stuff that you buy from a chocolate store that melts in your mouth.  If chocolates aren't her thing, buy her favorite treat.  Maybe it's something that's hard to find or has special meaning.

Home/Office Decor:  There have been years here and there that I've bought or made decor for my mom or step-mom to display.  I know their styles so it hasn't been difficult to find something I think they'd like.

Book, Journal or Notebook:  For as long as I can remember, my mom has always had a stack of books next to her bed.  She loves reading and has some favorite authors and genres, so finding a book she would like is generally not too difficult.  Along those lines, you could also purchase a journal or notebook for her to keep handy and write her thoughts down.

Poem or Letter:  You could find a poem that describes your mom or how you feel about her, or you could write one yourself.  I've done both and each have been received with tears and hugs.  I've also written a thank you letter expressing my love and gratitude for them.  If you're looking for a way to get your mom crying, or at the least a little misty-eyed, go for this option. *wink*

Something made by the Grandkids:  I've seen some cute ideas on Pinterest where you have your child draw or paint a picture and you take a picture of them making it.  Then you include both the picture they made and the picture of them in a frame (check out this one).  There are also lots of other ideas involving hand prints/foot prints of each grandchild (like this one here).

Printable Fill-in-the-Blank about Mom/Grandma:  Another fun Pinterest find and so easy and cute.  Grab one of the many free fill-in-the-blank printables for moms/grandmas (like this one) and have your kids finish the sentence.  Then you could put them together in a notebook or with the gift that you give to her.  I love these kind of gifts because there are always a few tears and some laughter involved as they are read.

I hope this list gave you an idea or two or at least got your wheels turning!

What are some of your favorite items to give or receive?

8 comments

  1. These are super cute ideas! I love the idea of giving service or activity/memory as we all have so much STUFF and spending time together is a great gift that people often overlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ashley. I got tired of trying to come up with random things my mom didn't have only to have it clutter up her space. Service or an activity are special for everyone involved.

      Delete
  2. I think I am going to snag a bracelet like that for my Mom. I know she would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such great gift ideas!! Custom jewelry is always such a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that these are all great ideas! I especially love your planning an activity and creating a memory one, I think most moms would probably appreciate that the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Justine. That's what we get my mom most years.

      Delete