Preschool Halloween Party on a Budget

In August of this year, I attended a blogging workshop.  While there, I met a fellow mommy blogger named Kyla (she blogs over at Ford-ology) who lives about 15 minutes away from me and has two kids the same ages as mine but opposite genders.  It was like a match made in heaven!  That night, she and I got to talking and decided that we definitely needed to collaborate on a post in the near future.

One day Kyla and I ran into each other at Hobby Lobby with our kids, who immediately started talking and playing with each other like they were already friends.  As Kyla and I were talking about activities our kids could do together for a playdate, it slowly evolved into a preschool/toddler Halloween party on a budget.  (Funny how things work huh?)  The more she and I talked, the more it all came together.  So today we are each sharing how you can host a fun, simple and entertaining Halloween party for your kids and their friends without breaking the bank.

We blocked out a two hour period of time to do everything which included prep time for each activity.  You could easily choose any one of these activities and do them with your child(ren) or for a playdate.  There is enough here that if you decided not to do an actual Halloween party, you could have some type of Halloween activity for almost every day of the week!  Some take a little more prep time, while others are fairly simple.  But the main thing is that all of them are budget friendly.

To start out with, we had the kids dress up because what's a Halloween party without costumes?  We just used some dress ups we had at home rather than their real Halloween costumes.  When we got to Kyla's house, we found that our girls had both chosen to dress as Sleeping Beauty/Aurora and our boys were both dressed as superheros: Spiderman and Superman!  So if our kids look like they are dressed the same, they pretty much are, but it was totally a coincidence.  (A very cute coincidence.)

While the kids played together, Kyla and I finished some of the prep work.  She already had a cute little table all decked out in Halloween decor with a tablecloth, fake spiderwebs and spiders (total cost: $4).  Each place was set with a cute paper pumpkin with each child's name on it, a pumpkin and the paper goods we were going to use for lunch time.



Photobooth
Our first activity was a photobooth.  Kyla had found some cute monster props for the kids to use for $3 from Target and the Happy Halloween banner for $1 (also from Target).



We also used some darling little tissue paper tassels from my friends Etsy shop, Eve's Party Market, to add a little extra Halloween fun. 




The kids thought using the props was hilarious and Kyla and I even got in on the fun, using our kids as stand-in photographers. *wink* (The tassels were kindly provided at no cost by Creative Juice Cafe.  The retail price is $4 for a pack of 5 tassels.)

Decorating Pumpkins
The next activity was decorating pumpkins.  We gave the kids some stickers, pompoms, googly eyes and paint and let them go to town.  (I already had the pompoms, paint and glue and Kyla spent $2 on stickers and $4 for the four pumpkins.)







It was so fun to watch them each create their own little masterpiece!  When the pumpkins didn't have anywhere left to decorate, we set them aside to dry.

Pumpkin Toss
While the kids took a little break to get out some energy, we set up the next activity which we called the Pumpkin Toss.  I bought 3 buckets from the Dollar Tree for $3 and I made six beanbags using some leftover material and plastic pellets (purchased from Hobby Lobby for $3).




Since the kids are all fairly little, we just told them the rules were to try and get one beanbag in each bucket.  My daughter and her son (both 4 years old) accomplished this pretty easily, while the 2 year olds weren't quite coordinated enough to aim accurately.  But they all had fun and wanted to try multiple times.  (I'm thinking this will be a fun game for my kids during the cold winter months when we're stuck inside.)  If you have older kids, you could label each bucket with a point value and then tally up points for prizes.

Lunch
Putting together the kids' lunch was so fun!





We made PB and J sandwiches and then cut them out into ghosts and pumpkins using cookie cutters.


The mummy juice boxes were made by ripping up white fabric I had in my scrap pile and wrapping it around the boxes and gluing some googly eyes on.


The string cheese ghosts and mandarin orange fruit cup pumpkins were made using a sharpie to draw the faces on.


Lastly, we gave the kids some yummy Jell-O popcorn in individual popcorn buckets, also from Eve's Party Market.  They were the perfect size to portion out the popcorn.  (The popcorn buckets were kindly provided at no cost by Eve's Party Market.  The retail price starts at $1 for 1 with bulk discounts available.)



Treasure Hunt/Goody Bags
The last activity was a treasure hunt that led the kids to some goody bags.  Because the clues were hidden around Kyla's house, her kids led the way to most of the clues but all the kids had fun running from room to room to find the next clue.





When the kids found their bags, they immediately sat down to find out what was inside: pumpkin bubble necklaces, spider rings, vampire teeth, pencils, small notebooks, coloring pages and a little bag of candy corn.





All of the items for the goody bags were found at Target in the dollar section and cost $6 to fill 4 bags.


I found the treasure hunt printout on Imagination Soup and just printed it off at home.  The coloring sheets are from Honey & Lime.  Kyla put two on each page and then cut them down and stapled the corner to make a little coloring book.

Like I mentioned at the beginning, our whole goal with this party was to make it budget friendly and have activities that anyone can put together.  Even if you don't consider yourself crafty, you can take any one of these activities and tailor it to your kids.  Kids aren't going to care if everything is fancy or picture perfect.  All they want is to enjoy the activities and spend some time with you and their friends.

Total cost out of pocket: $29

Honestly, I had so much fun putting this whole little party together for the kids!  Each activity kept their attention for just long enough to complete it and they were able to get their excess energy out while Kyla and I set up the next activity.  As Kyla's son said at the end, "It was the best morning ever!"  I think we can definitely count that as a success!

If you'd like to read Kyla's post about the party, click HERE.

What are you favorite Halloween-themed activities to do with your kids?

17 comments

  1. These are such super cute ideas! I especially really like that colorful jello popcorn! I bet my kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joscelyn! The popcorn is so good and super addicting. Definitely give it a try. ;)

      Delete
  2. I was trying to pick a favorite idea but I couldn't. They're all so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Emily! It was so fun to put everything together for the kids.

      Delete
  3. What a fun party! I love all of this! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samantha! It was just as much fun for us as it was for them I think!

      Delete
  4. I love the little place cards-this is such a cute and fun party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a fun little touch? Kyla came up with that idea and the kids loved that they had their "own place".

      Delete
  5. I can't believe the total cost was $29! That is one amazing party. Pumpkin painting/decorating is one of my favorite things to do with my kiddos. And the photo booth was too cute! They look like they had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When I was adding up the cost, I had to double check my numbers. Granted, we did already own about half of what we used for the party so if you're starting with nothing, then it would cost more, but I think it's safe to say that most parents have at least some of this on hand if they have kids.

      Delete
  6. Oh my!! I love this party and all the ideas!! The mummy wrapped fruit drinks are the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was seriously so fun to put together! The little mummies are my favorite too.

      Delete
  7. Our son's birthday is 10/30 so we are in the middle of planning his 5th birthday! I would love to one day have a huge Halloween party for friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great party playdate! I love all of these ideas - they are so simple and practical and still TONS of fun for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh what a fun play date!! How perfect for Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness!! I love this so much! Such fun and easy ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun ideas! My kids would love this party. I love that it's budget-friendly too- makes it something people can actually do. The mummy juice boxes are perfect!

    ReplyDelete