Movie Club Monday: The Princess Bride Inspired Taste Testing Activity for Kids

You know those movies that you grow up watching that you absolutely love?  The ones you could watch a million times and quote all the lines and still enjoy it?  For me, one of those movies is The Princess Bride.  My sisters and I would watch it together and anytime one of us would quote it (either in or out of context), we'd all bust up laughing because it just never got old. "That's inconceivable!"  "I'm a poet, did you know it?" and "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die." are just a few that make the rounds and it always takes me back.  Last month, I shared some monthly link parties that I am going to be participating in this year.  Today is the first one that is part of the Movie Club Monday series and the theme is nostalgic films.

As I thought about how to translate something from the movie into something I could share with you, I decided to use the scene where Vizzini is sitting at a rock with Buttercup waiting for Wesley to join them after his fights with Inigo and Fezzik.  He has Buttercup blindfolded and has set out some food and wine.  When Wesley appears, he challenges Vizzini to a "battle of wits" and goes on to poison the drinks and (spoiler alert!) kills Vizzini and rescues Buttercup.



So what did I take from this?

I decided to turn it into a fun little taste testing activity for my kids!  This is a super simple activity that doesn't require anything special.  You could plan this in advance and give your kids some really unique foods they've never tried or you could use what you have in the pantry.  I just used what we already had at home and tried to give them a variety of textures and flavors.  Here are some examples of what I gave them:


  • pretzels
  • peanut butter balls
  • lemon juice
  • piece of chocolate
  • granola bar
  • fruit leather
  • frozen corn

After blindfolding them, I put one or two pieces of food in a small bowl in front of them and told them they could feel it, smell it or taste it in order to guess what it was.  (I found that this worked better when I did one kid at a time because otherwise one would make a guess and the other would say the same thing, whether or not they thought that's what it was.)  I wrote down each of their guesses and at the very end I told them if they were right or wrong.



All in all, it was a really fun and simple activity and I think it would be fun to try again with some more unique or exotic foods.

As I mentioned above, this post is part of the Movie Club Monday link party and I'm joining up with some of my other blogger friends who are also sharing their nostalgic movie inspired posts!  We will be linking up on the fourth Monday of each month and each month will have a different movie theme.


Next month, we'll be sharing posts inspired from movies in the romantic comedy genre.  (I already have one picked out!)


What are your favorite nostalgic movies?  I'd love to hear below!

6 comments

  1. This looks like such a fun game to play with kids! I have four and I know they would all love to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun idea! I bet the kids loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea!! If only I could get my little girl to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! My sister and I always used to watch this movie, such a good one! I need to get my boys to watch it, though they are a bit turned off by the title, they think it's too girly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun idea Shani, I think my kids would really enjoy something like this, thanks for the fun idea! And I think it's so funny that we picked the same movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! My kids would have a blast with this. It's perfect to go with this movie too - one of our favorites!

    ReplyDelete