How Decluttering Helps Your Community

Decluttering and donating can help your community in unexpected ways.  How?  Read more here.
I feel like I am constantly decluttering: used up coloring books, old toys, clothes and shoes that have been grown out of or are no longer wanted, empty cardboard boxes... The list could go on and on.  I've always been the type of person to use something for as long as possible before I get rid of it.  But as I've grown older, I've noticed a desire to purge my belongings more often and give away things I no longer like or find useful.  I don't like stuff just lying around cluttering up my space (pun intended).  Do you feel the same?

So what do you do with these things?

You could just throw them away.  But some of these things are good enough to be reused by someone else, which means you have a couple of options:

  • Sell it.
  • Donate it.

At the beginning of the summer, I posted about how to host a successful yard sale.  I have a lot of experience with yard sales and share some really valuable tips that really make all the difference between selling your stuff and...not selling it.

Then, a couple of months ago, I wrote a 4-part series about "How To Sell Your Stuff Online".  It is a really in-depth look at how you can make money selling your unwanted stuff online and tips for getting the most for your items.  You can click on any of the links below to learn more:


Another way to earn money from unwanted items is to sell it at a local consignment store.  These types of stores generally take clothing and shoes and sell them for you.  You then receive a commission from those sales.

But what if you don't want to go to the work of selling it?  The other option is to donate it to a local non-profit organization, where it will go to those who aren't able to afford these things on their own or need to buy them but don't have much income.

Donate It
A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to attend a blogging event at a new thrift store/donation center called Deseret Industries the week before it opened.  (If you live in Utah, you are probably pretty familiar with these stores, but they also have stores in California, Arizona, Washington, Nevada, Oregon and Idaho.)

Decluttering and donating can help your community in unexpected ways.  How?  Read more here.

We got a behind-the-scenes look at what goes on there.  And it's more than simply reselling donated items.  In fact, their main purpose behind the store isn't to sell things.  It's vocational rehabilitation.  They offer assistance to those who need help getting back on their feet.  Maybe it's something as simple as going through a certification course so they can qualify for a higher paying job.  Or they need some help sprucing up their resume for a new job.  There are others who have addiction problems and need help maintaining a consistent job while receiving help to kick their addictions.  They offer business partnerships and internships to help people gain on-the-job training and experience.  (You can read more HERE.)

Decluttering and donating can help your community in unexpected ways.  How?  Read more here.
Another aspect of how the Deseret Industries (also known as the D.I.) helps the community is through their humanitarian efforts.  When items are donated, they are sorted, priced and put out on the floor to sell.  If an item doesn't sell after 4-6 weeks, it is removed from the floor and sorted once again.  Depending on the item, they will take it apart and reuse or recycle it.  For clothing, they sort it out based on type (pants, skirt, long/short sleeve, etc), whether or not it has a logo, pattern, etc and then it is bundled and shipped out to other countries based on need.  The store manager for the location we visited made it clear that a huge effort is made to use as many items as possible before letting it go to waste.

I was really impressed with all the different resources offered through Deseret Industries.  I've been donating to the DI for years, but wasn't aware of everything else that went on behind the scenes.  Their mission to enable self-reliance is a service to both the people who learn the skills they need through the program and to the community who benefits from their skills.

When you donate your items to Deseret Industries, you are helping people you've never met in unexpected and miraculous ways.  If you want to help others in your community, but aren't sure where to start, begin by decluttering your home.  What you donate might be purchased by someone who wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.  Or it might end up donated to a family out of the country unable to purchase it.  Regardless, you can feel good about knowing you are helping your community.

(If you'd like to see if there are any locations near you, you can click HERE

I hope this post gave you a little more insight into what goes on at Deseret Industries.  For me, just knowing that what I donate actually makes a difference in someones life is a huge motivation to look at what I have and try to donate more freely.  I encourage each of you to do the same!

20 comments

  1. I think that is why I love swaps. You can give your items to someone else who might find use for it without throwing them out. Someone else finds treasure in things you no longer need and it is a great idea. Garage sales are always great as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Stephanie! It feels great to get rid of things you no longer need/want and give it to someone else who finds value in it.

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow! I've never heard of them (I live in New Hampshire so we don't have any around here!) Very cool, though - I love when organizations are doing great things for the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Grady. I love hearing about and getting involved in organizations whose mission is to help others around the world.

      Delete
  3. I always love donating items to those in need. It's a very rewarding feeling to know you're helping someone and also lessening your clutter in your own home. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always breathe a sigh of relief as I drop off items to be donated. It feels great knowing I'm cleaning up my home and helping others as well.

      Delete
  4. I love this! Getting rid of clutter makes my heart happy and I love helping others too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea and it is a win a win. Thank you for sharing Deseret Industries with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for introducing Deseret Industries to us! What a great way to help, even if you don't have much money to donate. Like Sabrina said: A win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh we don't have anything glide desert industries here in minnesota, but it sounds like an amazing program!
    Best,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great program! Maybe you'll get one near you in the future.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like an amazing company with a great premise. Too bad they aren't in PA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty incredible what they do to help the community!

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of Deseret Industries! and the thorough posts you did on selling your stuff. I'm a big believer in not only decluttering, but trying to give away my stuff to people who need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. If I don't need something that is still in good shape, I'd much rather give it away to someone who needs it.

      Delete
  10. I love to declutter, always nice to learn about ways to donate, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love decluttering! It always makes me feel so much better.

      Delete