You Know You're A Mom When...

20 answers to this question will leave you laughing!
 Last week, I was making dinner, talking to my husband on the phone and trying to prevent my daughter from dragging a stool over to the stove so she could "help" when my 2.5 year old son came up and told me his tummy hurt.  I assumed he was hungry since it was close to dinner time, but almost as soon as the words "It's almost dinnertime" were out of my mouth, the poor kid emptied his stomach all over the floor.  After a hasty good-bye to my husband, I walked my little boy quickly and carefully to the bathroom where he got a bath and told me he felt much better.
This post originally appeared on Time Saving Mom on November 14, 2016.

I was thinking back on this moment later that night and realized that it hardly even phased me.  I've been a parent for almost 5 years and dealt with plenty of instances that were less than pleasant.  My kids have dumped entire boxes of cereal all over the floor.  I've showered with an audience peering through the glass door.  I could go on and on.  But I've found that the times I try to deal with these things using humor, I'm much happier.

As I thought about this, I decided to post an open ended question on Facebook to see what kind of responses I would get.  The question?

"You know you're a mom when..."

I got some pretty funny and completely relateable answers and I was laughing as I read them to myself.  Even today I can't help but smile. 

As a parent, and especially as a stay-at-home mom, I'm around my kids a lot.  I'm the one that takes care of most of their needs.  Often, I'm the one they run to when they get hurt or feel sick.  I get them ready in the morning, drop them off at school, pick them up, feed them breakfast, lunch and dinner, help with projects, clean up their messes and read them books.  Lots of books.  And it's good and fun and hard and crazy.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But let's be honest.  Sometimes being a mom is super un-glamorous.  And messy.  You have to deal with a lot of bodily fluids and funny quirks and a lack of privacy.  So to all you moms out there:  I totally get it.  And you're not alone.  I asked some of my friends to finish the sentence: "You know you're a mom when..." and got some pretty awesome and completely relateable answers.

So kick back, read what these moms said and have a good laugh at life, because heaven knows that you have to have a sense of humor to make it through parenting.

You know you're a mom when...

1. You eat your kids leftover food off their plate because you forgot to make yourself food. (Shani)
2. You can't remember the last time you took a shower. (Alexis)
3. You run to catch their vomit in your hands to spare the carpet. (Julie)
4. Shopping at Target and Hobby Lobby is your weekly outlet and getting baby food all over you ain't no thang. (Stephanie)
5. You can recognize your child's real cry from their fake cry in .746 seconds. (Shani)
6. Going to the DMV is fun...if you don't have your kids with you. (Lindsay)
7. You try to bribe your child to eat the food you made them. (Erica)
8. You have an audience while using the bathroom (Luz Marie)
9. You count going to Costco with your husband a date. (Shani)
10. You are so excited your child that is potty training poops in the toilet. (Christie)
11. You tell people you need to go "potty" instead of saying you need to use the bathroom. (Caroline)
12. Working out is the most relaxing part of your day. (Christy)
13. You can clean your whole house with baby wipes. (Shani)
14. All your shirts have stains or food on them and none of it is yours. (Rebecca)
15. You are a pro at negotiating and a trip to WalMart by yourself is a break. (Jacqueline)
16. You drive a minivan.  Also...your diaper bag becomes your purse. (Jessica)
17. Bodily fluids no longer gross you out--they are just standard fare. (Natalia)
18. You do shower, but you always have a little "guest". (Melissa)
19. You have to tell someone they aren't an animal and not to pee outside. (Megan)
20. You feel relieved when you figure out it's barf on your clothes instead of poop. (Jacinda)


Share how you would end the sentence: "You know you're a mom when...".  I'd love to hear it and share a laugh with you!

25 comments

  1. It's funny crazy, wonderful, how things change once you become a parent and how things phase you so much less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your poor son! I'm not a parent but I am an aunt and I've had my fair share of kids puke/throw up all over me :) Its funny that it didn't even phase you! You handled it much better then I probably would have ;)

    Thanks for sharing<3
    xo Nicole
    www.damatoadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever had anyone throw up on me before I had kids, so you're a step ahead of where I was. Lucky you! *wink*

      Delete
  3. You know you're a mom when you wake up on your birthday to a toddler throwing up on you and the hi light of your birthday is a coffee run alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's horrible Ashley! Definitely not the way you want to spend your birthday. Or any day for that matter...

      Delete
  4. I'm still a bit reactionary, but it does depend on the circumstance...and I guess it's ust part of my personality. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I think cleaning it up was the worst part of the whole thing!

      Delete
  5. Oh sick kiddos is seriously the worst!!! Also you know you're a mom when you get alone time aka 5 minutes, it feels like a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! Even if that 5 minutes is using the bathroom without an audience. ;)

      Delete
  6. This post is so good... and so true! You know you're a mom when a trip to the grocery store alone has become the equivalent to day at the spa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Jessica! There have been days I've waited to go to the grocery store until my husband was home and kids were in bed so I could just wander the grocery aisles for 2 hours by myself!

      Delete
  7. OMG yes! SO many of these! I regularly say "I have to go potty" to adults. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Rachel, that's awesome. Another word that slips into my conversations with adults is "silly". Just further proof that I'm a parent. ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh your poor little boy, I am glad he is doing better. I am not a mum yet but it makes me laugh to see what is coming for me. Thank you so much for collecting all these great answers and for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is nothing that can adequately prepare you for becoming a parent. Each kid is fun and unique, but can also be a handful. You learn to be thankful for the little things--like taking a shower by yourself!

      Delete
  9. SO funny and SO true! My last few date nights have been to Sams Club and Walmart. Livin' the dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're totally livin' the dream right there! ;)

      Delete
  10. These answers are hilarious!!
    I've only been a mom for a year (in two weeks), so I'm sure I have plenty more of those moments to come. I feel a little more prepared now. Haha
    Thanks for sharing!
    XO! Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I racked my brain trying to come up with something for this and got nothing, lol -- but I loved reading the answers that other's gave!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it will come to you in the most random moment and you'll think of this post! ;)

      Delete
  12. haha what a great post idea!! - Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey! I'm glad you got a laugh out of it.

      Delete