20 Minute White Bean Chicken Chili

Make a flavorful white bean chicken chili in only 20 minutes from stove to bowl!
Over the weekend, I saw a lot of Christmas in July sales and it kind of freaked me out for a minute!  I feel like the summer just started, but if I think about it, my daughter is going to be starting her second year of preschool in about 6 weeks, which means fall is just around the corner and then it's Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas!  If there is one thing you need to know about me, it is that I don't like the cold. And living in Utah, we get some cold winter days.  I'm definitely not ready for it to be cold any time soon.  Give me 90 degree weather and a pool and I will be one happy camper.

However, I do love me some good soup, which is why I like to have it year round.  It's such an easy meal to prepare because you can often throw in a bunch of ingredients and--voila!--you have soup.  Some soups, like my Crock Pot Minestrone Soup or Homemade Chicken Noodle, are super yummy, but take a little longer to cook and sometimes there just isn't time.  But this white bean chicken chili recipe is perfect for those days when you don't have a lot of time to cook and need something quick and filling.  Not to mention the fact that it only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, and you've definitely got a winner here!
Here's what you'll need to make it:

Make a flavorful white bean chicken chili in only 20 minutes from stove to bowl!

Start with your chicken.  You can either cook some chicken and then shred it, get a rotisserie and cut it up into pieces, or use a can of cooked chicken (I like the Kirkland brand).  I generally just use whatever I happen to have on hand.

After you're chicken is prepped, put it in a large pot.  Add the beans, chicken broth, green chilies and corn.  The amount of chicken broth you add is completely up to you.  If you like thicker chili, or don't need it to serve as many people, then use 2 cups.  If you like thinner chili, or need to serve more people, use 4 cups.  It won't affect the flavor, just the amount you end up with.

Make a flavorful white bean chicken chili in only 20 minutes from stove to bowl!

Next, measure the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper and cayenne pepper into a small bowl and mix together.  Put it in the pot with the above ingredients.

Make a flavorful white bean chicken chili in only 20 minutes from stove to bowl!

Turn the heat onto medium high and let it all heat though.  When it begins to boil, turn down the heat and slowly add the half and half.  Return to medium high heat and allow the soup to heat through again.  Serve immediately.

Make a flavorful white bean chicken chili in only 20 minutes from stove to bowl!

White Bean Chicken Chili
serves 6-8

Ingredients: 
  • 1 12.5-oz can of cooked chicken (I like Kirkland brand) or 1 lb chicken, cooked and shredded
  • 2 15-oz cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1-2 cans chicken broth (between 2-4 cups)
  • 1-2 cans green chilies (depending on how hot you like your chili)
  • 1 15-oz can corn, drained
  • 1 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1 tsp cumin 
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper 
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper 
  • 1 pint half & half 
Directions:
  1. Cook and shred chicken if you are not using canned chicken.  
  2. Add chicken, beans, chicken broth, green chilies and corn into a large pot. The amount of chicken broth you use is up to you, depending on if you want thicker or thinner chili.
  3. Measure onion powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper and cayenne pepper into a small bowl.  Mix together and then put into pot with other ingredients.
  4. Heat all ingredients together over medium high heat.
  5. Add half and half and heat again until heated through.
  6. Serve immediately.
  7. Store in air tight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.

17 comments

  1. I have been wanting to try a white chili forever!! This recipe looks so good - I'm definitely making it this fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little nervous to make chili, but this is seriously a no-fail recipe. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  2. This looks so delicious. Definitely something that would warm you up on a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, I love a good chili recipe! I'll be pinning this for later, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas in July would freak me out too! I haven't seen it yet thankfully. Your chili recipe looks amazing! I'll have to try it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, lucky you! ;) I hope you like the chili! :)

      Delete
  5. This looks so yummy! My husband could definitely go for this one evening this week. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband actually really loves homemade soup, so this one shows up on our menu at least once a month along with 2-3 others we rotate through. I hope you guys enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. I saw a lot of Fall stuff already being put out in the stores - they definitely don't wait. This soup looks delish - I love soup but don't make them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was at Hobby Lobby at the beginning of the month and they had 4th of July on one aisle and Fall decor on the next one over. But soup is definitely one food I love no matter the time of year.

      Delete
  7. I love soups (in fact, I had soup for dinner last night and it was 94 degrees out)! Chicken chili is one of my favorites, will have to give this a try! Going to go check out your minestrone recipe too (another favorite)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never had chicken chili until I got this recipe from my sister in law and now I can't believe I went so long without it! The minestrone is really good too, especially with rosemary bread.

      Delete
  8. This looks so so good. I'm all about having soups in all seasons. I think even the picky kiddos will eat this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids love it, but I have to make sure and tone down the spiciness for them. I hope you all like it!

      Delete