Top 10 Craft Supplies From The Dollar Store

A list of the top craft supplies to buy from the dollar store to save you money!
A week or so ago, I was at the dollar store picking up some supplies for the magnetic puzzle I was making when I realized how much craft stuff I buy there.  Now, granted, there are some really crappy items at the dollar store that are definitely not worth your dollar, but we'll save that post for another day.

Today I'm sharing the top 10 craft supplies I buy at the dollar store.

Baker's TwineThe dollar store sells baker's twine over in the craft section by the pipe cleaners and pom-poms.  It comes in a variety of colors and comes in a pack of three, so it doesn't cost much to get a bunch of different colors.  Baker's twine is great for scrapbooking, wrapping around jars or vases, attaching tags and so many other things.  It adds that little bit of color that just ties everything together (no pun intended).

A list of the top craft supplies to buy from the dollar store to save you money!

Glass Vases
If you've seen my tutorial for hurricane vases, you might remember that I bought the vases and the candlesticks from the dollar store.  They have a surprising amount of glassware in a decent variety of sizes and shapes.  You can paint over the glass to match your home, use the vases to give away a small bouquet of flowers, display candles or candy.

A list of the top craft supplies to buy from the dollar store to save you money!

Wire Wreath Forms
Earlier this year, I shared a tutorial for my Valentine's rag wreath.  The wire wreath form was purchased at the dollar store, saving me a few dollars.  They only had one or two sizes, but the sizes they had were perfect for my door and the rag wreath.  I found them on the aisle with the floral supplies.

Washi Tape
Oh, washi tape.  How do I love thee?  There are so many uses for washi tape and it comes in so many different colors and patterns and textures.  Surprisingly, the washi tape they have at the dollar store is really cute and you can't beat the price.

A list of the top craft supplies to buy from the dollar store to save you money!

Poster Board/Foam Board
I always like to keep a couple of pieces of poster board around just in case.  It's useful to make signs, of course, but you can also cut it down to size to make separators for binders or organize pictures in a box.  If you have school age kids, poster board and foam board are great for projects and presentations.

Scrapbook Paper
Every once in a while, I find scrapbook paper at the dollar store.  Sometimes it's adhesive sticker sheets.  Other times it's specialty paper (glitter or corrugated paper). I generally scrapbook using 12x12 sheets and most of their paper comes in an 8 1/2x11 size, so I use it more for embellishments.

A list of the top craft supplies to buy from the dollar store to save you money!

Glue Sticks
My daughter goes through glue sticks like nobody's business.  Most of her projects are just gluing pieces of paper onto other pieces of paper and she doesn't really need anything quality to hold it on, so I will buy a pack of four glue sticks for a dollar and that holds her over for a little bit.

A list of the top craft supplies to buy from the dollar store to save you money!

Glass Accent Gems, Rocks and Shells
You've probably seen the glass stones that people put in glass vases to hold flower arrangements.  The dollar store sells glass, rocks and shells for much cheaper than craft stores and they are the same thing.  You might not get as much variety in color, but the colors they have are common colors to decorate with.

A list of the top craft supplies to buy from the dollar store to save you money!

Colored Sand
Same thing goes for colored sand when it comes to variety in color, but they do change out the colors they have occasionally so if they have what you're looking for, them grab a few bags, because you really don't need to be paying a bunch of money for colored sand.  I like to use sand to layer in glass vases, but you could also use it to help your kids with their letters or spelling by putting it in a container and having them use their finger to draw in it.

A list of the top craft supplies to buy from the dollar store to save you money!

Foam Craft Balls
If you have ever gone to a craft store searching for foam balls, you know they are kind of pricey.  At the dollar store, you can get a pack of eight in 3 sizes for, you guessed it, one dollar.

Do you have favorite craft supplies you buy from the dollar store?

14 comments

  1. I would never have though about foam craft balls at the dollar store, that is a great idea. Foam is sooo pricey it seems at craft stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! They don't have as many sizes as a craft store, but I'm usually looking for smaller ones so that doesn't bother me.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post. Im planning on doing a DIY project soon so this post highlighted some items that I can use for the project. They have other crafts that are worthy of buying too, but this was the icing on the cake. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found this post helpful Leana! Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete
  3. People don't realize how great the dollar store is! I get all of my craft supplies there!

    Greta | www.gretahollar.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I never think to go to the Dollar store for craft supplies, but I really need a few of these items. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shann! I remember when I first noticed some of these items and I was like a kid in a candy store! Now that I know those things are there, I refuse to pay more for them at the regular craft stores.

      Delete
  5. fun! I love that you can get the vases from the dollar store..sooo many DIY options out there for those! And if you mess up..who cares, it was a $1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vases are definitely one of my favorite items there. I think the fact that they are so cheap makes me more likely to try new ideas out because, like you said, it's just $1!

      Delete
  6. You just inspired me to go to the Dollar store tomorrow!! I never thought to stop there for twine and jar, two of my crafting staples. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously Sarah, I was so happy when I found those items too. You can't go wrong with $1. :)

      Delete