Why You Should Start A Joy Journal

Why should you start a joy journal?  Joy and gratitude are connected and our focus on one will always bring the other.
Lately, I've been feeling like I'm caught in a rut.  The day to day routine of life has been getting to me.  My kids have been driving me up the wall and I find myself annoyed by my own voice some days.  By the time my husband comes home, all I want to do is push the kids towards him and lock myself in a room.  Little things the kids do that might have been funny if I were in a better mood just come across as irritating.  I haven't liked the grumpy person that's been taking over my life and I came to the realization the other day that I needed to do something to stop the cycle.  No one else was going to be able to change my attitude.

Chances are, you've heard of a gratitude journal.  Maybe you even have one.  Or maybe you started one a while back and haven't written in it in a while.  As for me, I have one that I started a few years ago, did great for a while, stopped for a bit, picked it back up again, stopped, and the cycle continues.  Over and over I've heard the benefits of writing down the things you're grateful for and how it helps you become more grateful.  But in my case, trying to write down 3-5 things I'm grateful for each day felt more like a chore.  It felt repetitive.  Even in the times that I had a whole list of things to choose from to write down, it still felt a little insincere to simply write a few words to try and convey my gratitude. 

Why should you start a joy journal?  Joy and gratitude are connected and our focus on one will always bring the other.

To help improve my overall attitude, I thought about picking up my gratitude journal again, but it just didn't feel like quite the right solution, especially knowing how my attempts to maintain a gratitude journal never seemed to stick.  That's when the thought came to me that I needed to focus on joy rather than gratitude.  Both are connected to each other, but I felt that by focusing on joy that I would be better able to focus on moments of my day that brought me joy.  As many of you can probably agree, the days where everything is wonderful and full of happiness and joy are few and far between.  Most days are just normal days with sunshine scattered throughout it.  Those pieces of sunshine are what I wanted to think about.  At the end of the day, I wanted to write down those moments that brought me joy.

When I was at the store earlier this week, I happened to pass by a little aisle stand that had some journals on it.  One that caught my eye said "Make something good today".  I picked it up and put it in my cart.  That night before climbing into bed, I wrote a little paragraph on the first page about the purpose of the journal and what I hoped to gain from it.  Earlier that day, I'd found a quote that said, "It is not joy that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful."  I knew that if I could commit myself to writing at least three things each day that brought me joy and why I was thankful for those things, that eventually I would feel more gratitude and my overall attitude would improve.

Why should you start a joy journal?  Joy and gratitude are connected and our focus on one will always bring the other.

I'm only on day 3 of writing in my joy journal, but I can already tell that it's making a difference.  By treating each moment of joy as a separate experience in the day, I can basically write a mini-story about each joyful moment.  This is so much more effective for me than simply writing a list of what I'm grateful for.  I get to share a piece of my day with a focus on joy, which in turn, makes me feel more grateful.  Additionally, I'm either looking for joyful things during the day to include in my joy journal, or I make an effort to create joy so that I have something to write about.

So why should you start a joy journal?  Or maybe the better question is, what do you have to lose by starting a joy journal?  I don't care who you are, you will have days, weeks, months or maybe even longer when life just isn't going the way you wanted or hoped it would.  The only thing you have control over is your attitude and what you choose to focus on. 

I encourage you to take a few minutes at some point during your day and just pause.  Think about what has brought you joy and write it down.  Write it in a journal.  Send someone a card or leave a note.  Write down and record the joy and on the days when you need a little boost, go back to the things you've written down and read them.  Take a step back from whatever hard thing you are facing and remember the joy.  Use it to encourage and uplift you and those around you.  Joy is meant to be shared.  And don't we all need a little more joy in our lives?

32 comments

  1. A joy journal sounds like such an amazing outlet to have. I may need to start one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a great outlet! I've really enjoyed ending my day on a positive note. Definitely give it a try!

      Delete
  2. I have thought of doing this at times but always wondered if I would give it up after a day or so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if my reason for starting one wasn't something that was really important to me, it wouldn't be as easy to keep up. But I've already noticed a difference and it's only been about a week since I started.

      Delete
  3. I love this so much and I think it's SO important to do. SO much better focusing on the joy than all the negativity. Your journal is so cute too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Caroline! It's better to worry about what we have control over, than what we don't.

      Delete
  4. This is such a great reminder Shani!! Sometimes, it's hard to focus on the 'joy' aspect in the midst of busy and grumpy.. I have not been able to keep up with journaling - I too go back and forth. But one thing that has helped me is keeping some kind of encouraging quote nearby. I was just thinking about replacing the one I took down when I moved things around - it helped so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do this too Zan! I have a little deck of inspirational cards that is in my bathroom. I change them out every week or two and I love the reminders!

      Delete
  5. I love what you wrote about the power of writing things down when things are not going as you wish ... you can choose what you want to focus on. I think I would enjoy having a joy journal! Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my post Trish! Writing things down really does have a kind of power to it.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a great idea. I've recently picked up writing in my journal each morning and it does help me set the tone for that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great way to start your day out!

      Delete
  7. Wow! As a counselor, I love this idea. I'm a huge advocate for a gratitude journal as well. I love the concept of a joy journal!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'm so glad it's something that's seen as valuable in the counseling world as well. What we focus on makes such a huge difference in our attitude and perspective on life.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, I love this!! I too have been in a rut lately, and this sounds like a great way to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed a difference and I've only been doing it for about a week. My mood is definitely improved and I love ending the day on a positive note!

      Delete
  9. I think this is such a wonderful idea. When life has you down, I think referencing a journal filled with things you love and bring you joy would brighten your spirits for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Stephanie! This is also why I keep notes from family and friends that have lifted me and encouraged me.

      Delete
  10. I love this idea so much Shani! I am so bad about writing in my journal, basically the only time I do is during General Conference when I'm taking notes and writing down my thoughts. But this would be so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Justine! I have a journal for church notes, General Conference or institute. I like having a separate journal for joy, gratitude, spiritual, scripture study and personal/everyday life. The problem is keeping up with them! ;)

      Delete
  11. I love this idea! Thank you for sharing! We all need to take some time to remember what has brought us joy every day, no matter how bad of a day you've had - there is always something that brings you happiness :)

    Kristen | www.sophisticatedgal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Kristen! There have been days when the joyful moments come to my mind so quickly and other days when I have to dig a little deeper, but it's always there.

      Delete
  12. I did this a few years ago, for one year, and everyday I wrote down something that made me happy. It changed me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome Rachel! I've already noticed a change in my life and it's only been a week. I can only imagine what doing it for a year (and beyond) would do.

      Delete
  13. This really sounds like a great idea - love it!!
    Thanks for sharing what steps you take to find happiness. :)
    XO, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read through my post Vanessa!

      Delete
  14. I love this idea of a joy journal, and I love gratitude journals as well--I completed a gratitude journal in the short months of me and my husband's engagement and I enjoy looking back on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a cute idea Emily! I bet it's a lot of fun to look back through that journal.

      Delete
  15. Such a great idea Shani!! It's sometimes hard to remember or see the joy in your life, especially with small kids. This season of life is hard! Daily reflection would definitely help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think that taking it one day at a time is all you can do!

      Delete
  16. I just get happy every time I see your felt board, lol!! That will have to go on my Buy or DIY list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still makes me so happy too! I've got it up in the kitchen and since we spend so much time there each day, I see it a lot. ;)

      Delete