Parmesan Chicken

Simple, inexpensive, but most of all, moist and flavorful!  Makes great leftovers!
A week after my husband I were married, we drove from Utah to New York so he could do some summer sales.  As a new wife, I wanted to practice my domestic skills and make food for my hungry and tired husband after a long day knocking doors.  One of the meals I made quite often was Parmesan chicken because it was easy and inexpensive to make, plus it provided leftovers for a couple of days.

Eight years later, I'm still making Parmesan chicken for my family, although I've tweaked the original recipe.  This is one of my husband's favorite meals and my kids love it too.  Simple, inexpensive and most of all, moist and flavorful, I'm sure you'll love it too!

Here's what you'll need:

Simple, inexpensive, but most of all, moist and flavorful!  Makes great leftovers!

I always start by prepping the chicken.  I cut off the excess fat and anything else that I wouldn't want to eat.  Then I cut the chicken into large pieces and set it aside.

Simple, inexpensive, but most of all, moist and flavorful!  Makes great leftovers!

In a smaller bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.

Next, I combine the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, onion salt, garlic powder, black pepper and Italian seasoning into a medium bowl.  (Check out my tutorial for making your own breadcrumbs HERE.)

Then, I create an assembly line of sorts: chicken, butter, cheese/bread crumb mix and 9x13 pan.

Simple, inexpensive, but most of all, moist and flavorful!  Makes great leftovers!

Dip the chicken in the butter, then move it to the cheese/bread crumb mix to coat it and then place it in the pan, pushing the pieces close together.  I like to use tongs to pick up the chicken and move it around because it keeps my hands cleaner.  I also use a spoon or small spatula to coat the chicken before picking it up and putting it in the pan.

Simple, inexpensive, but most of all, moist and flavorful!  Makes great leftovers!

Simple, inexpensive, but most of all, moist and flavorful!  Makes great leftovers!

When your pan is about 1/2 to 3/4 full, turn on your oven to 400 degrees.

I usually end up with about the right amount of everything, plus or minus a couple pieces of chicken or a little bit of butter or cheese/bread crumbs mixture.  If you have any chicken left over, you can just put it in with the rest and cook it, or bag it up and freeze it to use later.  If you have left over butter, just drizzle it over the top of the chicken in the pan.  If you have left over bread crumbs, sprinkle them over the chicken in the pan.  No point in letting it go to waste.

Simple, inexpensive, but most of all, moist and flavorful!  Makes great leftovers!

Once your oven has preheated, put the chicken in and set the timer for 20 minutes.  You'll know the chicken is done when it's no longer pink inside and the juices run clear.  I usually just cut a couple of pieces in half to check.  If it needs longer, put it in for another 2-3 minutes and then check it again.

Simple, inexpensive, but most of all, moist and flavorful!  Makes great leftovers!

Serve with some mashed potatoes, fruit, veggies and a salad.

Store leftovers in a sealed container for up to one week.  (I've made a Parmesan chicken salad by slicing up the cold chicken and putting it on a green salad and it's super yummy!)

Simple, inexpensive, but most of all, moist and flavorful!  Makes great leftovers!

Parmesan Chicken
serves 4-6

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 c. bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp. onion salt
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning (optional)
  • 3 lbs chicken breasts
Directions:
  1. Clean chicken and cut up into large pieces.
  2. Melt butter in microwave.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, onion salt, garlic powder, pepper and Italian seasoning.
  4. Dip chicken in butter, then transfer to cheese/bread crumb mixture and turn until coated.
  5. Place in 9x13 pan, pushing pieces close together.
  6. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through (juices run clear) and top is a light golden brown.
  7. Store leftovers in sealed container for up to 1 week.

21 comments

  1. This looks SO good!! I'll have to try it out this week!

    xo
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes em want to have a second lunch. Looks delish! Definitely pinning so I can make it for my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parmesan chicken makes such good leftovers! I hope you and your husband enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite meals! Yummy, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours too! Every time I make it, I'm so happy because it's so good!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. There are so many reasons I love this recipe, but the fact that it's easy to make and doesn't take a lot of time to throw together makes it even better!

      Delete
  6. This is a bit different from my typical parmesan chicken recipe. I'm definitely going to try this one out because it's one of our favorites! I always love to try variations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love variations too! Sometimes I'll change up the herbs I put in--Mrs. Dash, paprika, cayenne--and it always tastes delicious.

      Delete
  7. My mom and I used to make these years ago except we did them individually on a baking sheet. I love how your version is easier with just putting them in a baking dish. Will have to give this a try, they're so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how moist the chicken is by cooking it all together in a baking dish. :)

      Delete
  8. This looks so yummy. I actually love chicky chicky parm parm. I actually make the nuggets like this instead of the full chicken breast when I make it because it's easier to cook the meat evenly in smaller pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I rarely cook full chicken breasts in any meal (there are some exceptions) for that very reason.

      Delete
  9. This looks like the perfect weeknight meal!! Fast and easy but still tastes amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, it's totally perfect for weeknights as well as weekends. We've made it for Sunday night dinner with family or friends and it's always a hit!

      Delete
  10. Looks tasty Shani. I have had this chicken before made by others and I have made it a few times in the past. I need to add it back to our menu!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zan. It's part of our dinner menu about once a month or so and we love it every time!

      Delete
  11. This sounds really simple and tasty! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete