How To Update Your Garage Door Entrance

Easily update your garage door entrance to instantly improve the look!
One of the things I was most excited about when we moved into our home was the attached garage because up until that point, we'd lived in apartments with no covered parking.  Being in Utah, we have some pretty cold days in the winter and scraping snow off my car or cranking the heat in my car for a quick errand was really annoying.  Being in Utah, we also have some crazy hot summer days so then there is the opposite issue of trying to cool down a hot car or being worried someone is going to burn their hands or legs on the buckles.  So having an attached garage was just like icing on the cake of buying our first home.

This summer, my husband has been working on our garage.  When we moved in, it was finished only up until the mudding and taping was done, so there was no texture and it wasn't painted.  We left it like this for five years.  In the spring of this year, my husband and dad built some floor to ceiling shelving along one wall (yay!) so that we could move some of the stuff we have in our basement storage room outside.  With that done, my husband then started on mudding, re-taping and texturing the walls before painting them.  It's been a process but he is just about done and the garage is looking so good!

Because we have an attached garage, this is the main way we enter our home, rather than a front or side or even back door.  This got me thinking that since we were going to all the work to make the walls look nice, then maybe we should spend a few extra dollars and make the entrance from the garage to our house look equally as nice.

Easily update your garage door entrance to instantly improve the look!

First, my husband took care of the plywood steps we have leading up to our door (which are open underneath) by cutting another piece of plywood for each side to close it off.  Then he primed and painted them with the same paint we've been using on the walls.  Using some dark grey paint I'd found at ReStore (a local donation center run by Habitat for Humanity) at the same time I found my cabinet door, he painted the steps with a few good coats.

Easily update your garage door entrance to instantly improve the look!

Next, we went to Walmart and I chose a blue-green color that I have scattered throughout my house (most recently on my hallway table makeover).  My husband used a small roller and painted the door, letting it dry between coats.  (The color we used is called Echo Lake Aqua by Better Homes and Gardens.)

A couple of days later I pulled out my Silhouette software and cut the word "hello" out of white adhesive vinyl and placed it in the middle of the door between the two panels.

Easily update your garage door entrance to instantly improve the look!

And BAM!  Check out the entrance to our home from the garage!  I LOVE it.  It makes me so happy to pull into my garage and see the bright door with the happy greeting on it.

Easily update your garage door entrance to instantly improve the look!

Seriously, check out this before and after!
Easily update your garage door entrance to instantly improve the look!

What do you think about sprucing up the entrance to your home from the garage?

19 comments

  1. Fantastic idea! I love it! One of these days I'll invest in a silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris! And you should definitely look into a Silhouette. I use mine all the time.

      Delete
  2. Major improvement! That paint color on the door is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila Jo! The paint color just makes me so happy!

      Delete
  3. This is adorable. A little paint can go a long way! Love the blue you chose, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No matter how many things I paint over, I'm still amazed at what a difference it makes on the final product.

      Delete
  4. Love how the makeover turned out! Crazy how much difference a little paint can make!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting a house soon so this is useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on getting a house! It is so fun to be able to decorate however you want in your own home.

      Delete
  6. I love what you did to your entry, it looks so much better now! That color is so bright and happy! You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple little update! I love vinyl for that reason and "hello" on the garage door is a fun touch :) I really like the deep gray on the steps too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lora! I think the vinyl just completes it the whole look. And it's easily changeable in the future.

      Delete
  8. Subsequently, after spending many hours on the internet at last We have uncovered an individual that definitely does know what they are discussing many thanks a great deal wonderful post. Garage Door Opener Repair

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you find the gorgeous handrail?
    Thanks Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did you get the railing? I have been looking for something for our stairs wich are very similar. Looks great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The handrail is actually the one that came with the home when we built it, so unfortunately I'm not sure where they got it from. I'm sorry!

      Delete

  11. I do not even understand how I ended up right here, but I believed this post used to be great. I do not understand who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger in case you aren't already. Cheers! netflix account

    ReplyDelete