Summer 2016 Walmart Beauty Box Review

Summer 2016 Walmart Beauty Box Review--Is it worth $5?
*I am reviewing this box by choice and have not received it for free, nor have I received any other compensation from Walmart.  All opinions are my own.*

A year and a half ago, I got an email from Walmart about signing up for a quarterly/seasonal beauty box.  It boasted full size beauty products and lots of other great samples for free plus $5 shipping.  I was intrigued so I signed up with the knowledge that I could cancel the subscription at any time if I didn't think the products I received were worth the $5.

Since then, I've received a new beauty box every three months filled with goodies.  Some boxes have been better than others, which I think is to be expected, but overall I've enjoyed getting them.  It's been fun to get a little surprise in the mail and I can totally see the appeal of subscribing to other beauty boxes/monthly subscription boxes.

This last week, I got my most recent beauty box in the mail.  I'd received an email from Walmart letting me know that my card had been charged and my box was on its way with a tracking number.  When I got it, I took it into my bathroom to open it up and shut the door because my kids would have opened it up and pulled it out faster than a kid stealing candy. *wink*

Here's what I got:
  • Goody SlideProof hair elastics (full size)
  • Lady Gaga Fame Black Fluid perfume (sample size)
  • Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs leg makeup (sample size)
  • Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Repair lotion (travel size)
  • Nivea In-Shower Cocoa Butter Body Lotion (single use) w/coupon
  • Simple Micellar Cleansing Water (single use)
  • Schwarzkopf Essence Ultime Diamond Color & Radiance Shampoo and Conditioner (travel size)
  • Arm & Hammer Truly Radiant toothpaste (travel size) w/coupon
  • Incoco Coconut Nail Art (full size)
Summer 2016 Walmart Beauty Box Review--Is it worth $5?

My review:
  • Goody SlideProof hair elastics--I actually received these in a beauty box in the fall or winter of last year, but I really like them so I was happy to have more that I didn't have to pay full price for in the store (retail is around $4).  They hold a ponytail in all day because of the little rubber grippers and I love them.
    • Would I recommend it: YES
  • Lady Gaga Fame Black Fluid perfume--I was a little skeptical about this perfume and sprayed a little bit of it on my wrist before jumping in the shower so I could wash it off in case I didn't like it.  I was pleasantly surprised because it's pretty subtle (unlike Lady Gaga herself) and the scent actually stayed on my wrist even after my shower.
    • Would I recommend it: YES
  • Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs leg makeup--Leg makeup??  I didn't even know this was a thing.  I've heard of self tanner and tinted lotion but not leg makeup.  To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll be trying this out any time soon, especially since it's summer time and I tan very easily.  So using a product to make my legs look darker isn't really useful to me.  Maybe I'll keep it and try it out in the winter when I don't really need it and see how I like it then.
    • Would I recommend it: UNDECIDED
  • Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Repair lotion--In the summer, I wear flip flops or have bare feet all. the. time.  As a result, I get callouses and my heels sometimes crack.  I haven't tried this lotion out yet, but I plan on using it on my feet, knees and elbows this summer since they get the most dry.  Vaseline is a pretty good brand when it comes to keeping in moisture, so I would expect it to work well.
    • Would I recommend it: UNDECIDED
  • Nivea In-Shower Cocoa Butter Body Lotion--I brought this into the shower with me to try out after I sprayed the Lady Gaga perfume on.  I've never tried an in-shower body lotion before so I wasn't sure how I'd like it.  The instructions said to wash your body like normal, rub it onto wet skin, then rinse it off while still in the shower.  Because it was only a single use sample, there wasn't much in the pouch.  I used it all up and barely had enough for my entire body.  I dried off and got out my regular lotion, but was surprised to find that I actually didn't need it.  The in-shower body lotion had moisturized my skin just as well, if not better, than putting lotion on after getting out.  Not only that, but it kept my skin soft throughout the day.  Not bad, Nivea.
    • Would I recommend it: YES
  • Simple Micellar Cleansing Water--I have a few different face cleansers that I rotate through.  Most of them have little microbeads and/or an astringent and are either liquid or gel/cream.  Plus I also have a separate eye makeup remover.  I was curious to see how this cleansing water would work for me so I tried it out.  I squirted a little on a cotton square and started wiping my face.  The makeup came right off.  I used it on my entire face (except my eyes, even though you can use it on your eyes).  I liked that it felt like water, but I didn't have to scrub to get the makeup off.
    • Would I recommend it: YES
  • Schwarzkopf Essence Ultime Diamond Color & Radiance Shampoo and Conditioner--Honestly, I don't know when I'll get around to using these samples.  I usually just pack these away in a bin I have for sample/travel size shampoos/conditioners that I pull out and pack with me on vacations, camping trips or if we have company.
    • Would I recommend it: NO
  • Arm & Hammer Truly Radiant toothpaste--I've bought this brand of toothpaste before and haven't been overly impressed.  It is usually too grainy or the flavor is a little off.  This will go in the same bin as the sample size shampoos/conditioners for use at a later date.
    • Would I recommend it: NO
  • Incoco Coconut Nail Art--I'm really excited to try this product out.  I was happy to see that it was full size.  Each strip is long enough that it's possible to do all ten fingers and toes, even though there are only 12 strips total.  I've tried out other store-bought press on nail polish products before and they usually peel off after a couple of days.  If these stay on, I'll be really impressed.
    • Would I recommend it: UNDECIDED (will update when I try it out)
Well there you have it!  I hope my little review was helpful to you.  If you want to find out more about the Walmart Beauty box, go HERE.  You can sign up and check out the FAQ.  Since the Summer Beauty Box has already shipped out, you would receive the Fall Beauty Box next if you choose to sign up.

Have you signed up for other beauty boxes?  What is your favorite/least favorite?

6 comments

  1. I signed up! I'll let you know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first box from them. I wasn't super impressed with it. I got the exact same stuff as you, except my nail art pattern is different and I didn't receive the Simple cleanser sample. The only thing I was really excited to see was the Goody hair ties. How does this box compare to the others you've received? Better or worse or about average? I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping the subscription. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it's hit and miss with the box as a whole. There have been times when I've opened the box and frowned because there wasn't anything I was too excited about. Other times, I've been really impressed with what I've gotten for $5. One of my favorite liquid lip colors is from a previous box and I probably wouldn't have tried it out if I hadn't received it as part of my box. This box was a little better than average. Over the last year and a half, I've received enough that I've liked to keep the subscription. I'd recommend keeping the subscription for one or two more seasons before deciding whether to cancel or not. I hope that helps! And thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your input! I think I'll do what you suggest and keep it for a few more seasons; it is only $5 :) Thanks again!

      Delete